Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Project Recipe and a surprising Pad Thai

Healthy Pad Thai with Shredded Cabbage from Paint + Tofu
 
In Julie & Julia, Julie Powell, a NYC blogger, decides to address the tedium of her days by cooking the recipes in Julia Child’s cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking – all 524 of them. The movie makes great watching if you’re interested in food, especially the juxtapositioning of Julia Child’s time in France putting together the cookbook with Julie’s working her way through said book, but it is clearly not easy; there are lobsters to be killed, ducks whose butts you have to get your hands up, Julie’s marriage almost goes down the drain with the pasta water…
 

I have a project and it’s going to be fun.

Every Thursday, I start to think about what I will cook over the weekend. Those of you who know me know I try recipes, I’m not one of those magicians in the kitchen who can throw things together.
So, Thursday: Shortlist of recipes from Pinterest
Friday: Crawford Market for any unusual ingredients
Saturday and Sunday: Lunches, at least, are different.

Weekdays? Weekdays are usually given over to the new girl, Sumitra, who feeds us what she will.

That is changing. I find myself coming home earlier to the new house. The bigger kitchen feels like it could do with some loving… I can find all my precious ingredients where I’ve stashed them… And we’re doing the Dadar Market thing: We go to the wholesale market on Saturdays and come back staggering with the freshest fruits and vegetables. And flowers, but that is another matter.

So my new project is to have 52 recipes by the end of the year. 52 recipes each in Appetisers, Soups, Salads, Mains, Desserts, and, maybe, Snacks. Only after I have cooked a dish will the recipe be given a place in the Project Recipe ring binder, printed out on an A4 sheet with hole guards to protect the punch holes. It will next be taken to the kitchen on its own, encased in a plastic sleeve to keep it safe from the oil smears and sauce smudges I always seem to bestow on recipe printout and books.

Just beginning, it has been a wonderful exercise of happy memories – a game of recalling that starter we served at the last Easter party, or those schnitzels we got from Friyan’s cook, Vinod, and which my mom now loves. Of pulling that recipe from that masala-smeared cookbook and adding it to the list to be typed out. Of trying quite a few dishes that are Paleo, and still surprisingly tasty.   

It comes at a time when Zach is finally waking up to new tastes and foods, and, unlike with Julia’s recipes, which she created for “servantless” Americans, my Sumitra is an enthusiastic assistant.

Don’t worry too much about me. Unlike Julie who got rather carried away and overwrought in the movie, I’m a happy cook. I already have about 20 tried-and-tested recipes in each category – except desserts.
 
And the D’Souza boys are lovin’ it all.

Here, then, is one of the recipes I’ve tried over the last few weekends. It’s super-simple and Paleo – no noodles – but you’ll be surprised at how tasty it is anyway. Good way to get some cabbage into you. I did not have edamame, so I used black eyed beans, soaked and cooked, and I didn’t bother with the red cabbage either – though it does add a nice shot of colour.

 
Pad Thai with Cabbage

Adapted from Paint &Tofu

1 head green cabbage, shredded
Olive oil
1.5 cups edamame (or black eyed beans, soaked and cooked)
2 cups red cabbage (optional)
4 carrots, ribbonned (use your vegetable peeler)
2 limes

For the sauce: 
5 tbsp soya sauce
3 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
3 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp minced ginger

Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the shredded cabbage for about seven to 10 minutes till cooked but not limp.

While the cabbage is cooking, mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl.

Pour the sauce over the cabbage and cook for an additional one to two minutes.

Plate and garnish with the carrot ribbons, shredded red cabbage (optional), edamame (cooked black-eyed beans), and slices of lime.

 

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you're organising your recipes...just the inspiration I need to get around to organising my NN book (read enter those into the comp to save the increasingly fragile paper) and miscellaneous recipes culled from various people and magazines :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!