|Baked Chicken Parmesan - Skinny Taste|
The counts are up, the weight is up. The Christmas indulgences are making themselves felt and seen. It’s time to get back to exercising regularly and eating more healthily.
Which means chicken is back on the menu.
I tried this recipe for Baked Chicken Parmesan from one of my favourite blogs, Skinny Taste. It turned out predictably good, and very restaurant-style. It’s one of the few times I had almost all the ingredients too.
Anyway, here goes…
BAKED CHICKEN PARMESAN
· 4 chicken breasts, fat trimmed, sliced in half to make 8 flat pieces
· 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I mixed salt, pepper and some oregano seasoning into the breadcrumbs; be careful not to add too much salt because the parmesan packs a lot of salt too)
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (didn’t bother with this)
· 1 cup tomato sauce (I made my own with tomatoes, onions and garlic)
· Cooking spray, if using
Preheat the oven to 450°.
Spray a large baking sheet lightly with cooking spray (I just lined a cookie tray with foil).
Combine the seasoned breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese in a bowl.
Place the olive oil in a flattish bowl
Lightly brush each chicken piece with olive oil, then dip into the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
Bake the chicken pieces for 20 minutes, then turn over and bake for another five to 10 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven, spoon 1 tbsp tomato sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese (if using).
Put back in the oven and bake for five minutes more. Serve hot.