So, I seem to have taken a bit of a break from this blog.I haven’t stopped eating though, and all of you who know me will be glad to know I haven’t stopped exercising either.
If the exercising is so that I can eat... oh well...
Anyway, I’ve realised that one of the ways to keep this blog going is to just do recipe try-outs for a while.
So this one’s a Chinese classic – Sweet & Sour Chicken from Lil Luna.
It’s super easy (the only
One thing it’s not – healthy! We’re talking fried chicken here, people – tasty and addictive, but strictly Sunday indulgence fare in terms of calories.
Sweet & Sour ChickenAdapted from Lil Luna
1 kg boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes1 small tin pineapple chunks or rings, cut into pieces
1 capsicum, diced
For the batter:
½ cup flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil
2/3 cup water
For the sauce:
1 cup water
½ cup vinegar
¾ cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup water
3 tbsp cornflour
1. Make the batter by combining all the batter ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
3. Fry the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
4. Make the sauce by combining the pineapple juice from the tin, 1 cup water, vinegar, sugar, salt and ketchup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
5. Add 3 tbsp cornflour to ¼ cup water and add to the sauce, stirring constantly as it thickens.
6. Add the pineapple and capsicum dices and simmer until cooked.
7. Add the fried chicken pieces just before serving over hot rice.
Let me know how it works out!