Monday, October 08, 2012

Crispy bread cases with two fillings... and a fitness DVD update




This recipe from The Hamlyn Cookbook is one I’ve made many times over. And I love it because it always comes right and the crispy bread cases are a handy thing to know for your appetisers arsenal. Most of us always have bread in the house, so basically, you can always quickly turn these out – even for unexpected guests – and fill them with anything that will make a good savoury filling.

There is cream in here, as well as butter, but feel free to cut those down to the bare minimum – I always do and it doesn’t really affect the taste of the appetisers.


Mushrooms in crispy bread cases

For the bread cases:
8 thin slices bread, crusts removed (I use brown bread)
50 g butter (I use only a fraction of this)
For the filling:
25 g butter
1 spring onion, chopped
175 g mushrooms (I use button mushrooms), sliced evenly
1 tbsp Madeira (I use any white wine I have open, and considerably more than 1 tablespoon!)
4 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste



To prepare the bread cases: Brush both sides of the bread slices with the butter. Press firmly into tartlet tins (I’ve also used individual idli cups). Bake in a preheated oven at 200° C for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread cases are crisp and golden brown.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the spring onions and fry for about five minutes till softened. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about five minutes until they are tender (at this point, if a lot of water has been released from the mushrooms, feel free to carefully scoop it out and reserve it – you don’t want the filling mixture to be watery).
Stir in the Madeira and allow the mixture to bubble briefly, then stir in the cream and chopped parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over moderate heat for a few moments more, until the mixture thickens slightly and forms a sauce.
Fill the bread cases with the mushroom mixture and serve warm.

And now, because some of us can’t be bothered with vegetarian starters... I can’t remember if I’ve made these but this book is quite trustworthy like that!

Chicken tartlets

For the bread cases:
8 thin slices bread, crusts removed (I used brown bread)
50 g butter (I used only a fraction of this)
For the filling:
25 g butter
1 celery stick, chopped
2 bacon rashers, chopped
125 g boneless chicken, chopped
1 tbsp sherry
4 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp chopped parsley or 2 tsp chopped coriander (yes, the recipe actually said that!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the bread cases as in the previous recipe.
To prepare the filling: Melt the butter, add the chopped celery and fry for three to four minutes until softened. Add the bacon and chicken and cook for a further 10 to 12 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the chicken thoroughly cooked.
Stir in the sherry, allow the mixture to bubble in the pan.
Stir in the cream and the chopped parsley or coriander.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cook on moderate heat for a few minutes till the mixture thickens.
Scoop into the prepared bread cases and serve.

And now, the fitness DVD update:
Some of you were interested in the Leslie Sansone walking videos – which incidentally, are still going strong here at my home. In fact, I’ve ordered two more. Here’s a link to the MovieMars store on ebay.com that I ordered the new ones from; I’m paying about $ 2.95 international shipping on each.
Also, this is the one I’m currently working out to:


The Leslie Sansone Walk at Home 5 Day Slim Down...
And these are the two I’ve just ordered...



Happy walking!

3 comments:

  1. The bread cases sounds yummy & reasonably easy to make, instead of dampening the bread, stuffing it with filling & frying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, the food is great! but I'm more interested in the batman serving tray :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!