Friday, August 10, 2012

Makeover: Baked potato and devilled egg


So I quite like baked potatoes with sour cream and cheese.
But with the My Fitness Pal strategy on my plate, I can’t casually commit to either of those any more.
But I still want my baked potatoes.
So this evening, I came home earlier and worked a makeover.
I made the potatoes in the microwave – poked them all over with a fork, then cooked them 5 minutes on High one side, then 5 minutes on High the other, and then another 5 on High because I wanted them soft.
Then I made my faux sour cream – hung yoghurt, mixed with two tsp chopped capers, six snipped sundried tomatoes and garlic salt. Let it sit for a while for all the flavours to steep in.
Then I squeezed my potatoes till they split in the middle and poured a generous measure of faux sour cream over.
Meanwhile, not willing to leave well alone, I also remade the devilled eggs from my other post.
Six eggs. Boiled. Shelled. Halved. Yolks removed and mashed. I skipped the mayo and the parsley and the pepper. And the entire Caesar salad sprinkle.
So basically, it was just mashed yolks, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and salt.
Of course, without the mayo, it was too dry to pile back into the egg white halves, so I spooned some of the faux sour cream in to make it moister.


The next time, I will add a contrasting visual element to both dishes   –  maybe some chilli flakes on the devilled eggs and some parsley on the faux sour cream. But otherwise, they were both absolutely nice for a weeknight dinner, alongside a quick stir-fry of grilled chicken, red and yellow peppers, onion and garlic, with a sprinkling of the salmon rub I had brought back from Canada for flavour.
Try making over some of your favourite dishes  –  you’ll be surprised at what you can do.

MAIN PHOTOGRAPH: MICROSOFT.COM

1 comment:

  1. Aaah! Thanks Prima, for another favourite... must try the garlic salt. If the curd is not quite right and I want the mayo flavour and consistency, I mix in a little, tiny bit of low-fat cheese spread and for flavour, a dash of mustard or a garlic-chilli-tomato sauce. I've even got away with a final tiny sprinkling of shakkar for colour - just a few grains per potato. They melt beautifully in the oven. Don't blame your guests if they don't leave much for you! We serve tiny ones as snacks or the normal potatoes for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!