Thursday, July 12, 2012

We tried it: Decadent Potato Salad by The Curly-Haired Cook

Antoine Lewis's Decadent Potato Salad on The Curly-Haired Cook

When it comes to posting on this blog, I work to an odd schedule in my head. I like to do stuff about life and living early in the week, something DIY and crafty midweek and indulgent recipes for the weekend. Now, I’ve realised that I need a few days’ lead time to actually cook something a little different, so I’m going to switch the DIY and food.
I tried this Decadent Potato Salad over Easter, when we had a few friends over. It is from an old friend, Antoine Lewis, who, incidentally, Kevin has known since they were children. Anyway, Antoine was a very important part of a food website we used to have soon after Zach was born, called Eat Your Art Out. It had lots of easy recipes, and Antoine used to do a column on unusual ingredients. We couldn’t sustain the website because we didn’t have a clue about marketing and advertising, but I’ve watched Antoine go from strength to strength ever since. I love his blog The Curly-Haired Cook (I love that he has that hyphen there too, I have to admit) and I’m always flagging off recipes to try.
This one is a happy, comfort-food kind of dish that you will enjoy. The ingredient list is a bit long, but simple, and this is why I’ve moved Recipes to midweek – so you can have them all ready to cook an indulgent weekend lunch.
 As often with dishes that turn out well, no photographs for obvious reasons, but Antoine’s pics are a great culinary turn-on anyway.

DECADENT POTATO SALAD
From The Curly-Haired Cook

400 g potatoes, preferably baby potatoes
1½ tbsp minced celery sticks
1½ tbsp finely-minced white onion
100 g mixed cold cuts of your choice (chopped ham, different sausages, sliced)
1 rasher bacon, fried crisp
1 boiled egg, chopped
a few drops of Tabasco sauce
3 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tbsp cream
a pinch of pepper and chilli powder
salt to taste

FOR THE DRESSING:
2 tbsp olive oil/ salad dressing oil
½ tbsp white vinegar
a large pinch of mustard
¼ tsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper to taste


FOR THE GARNISH:
a few whole celery leaves and a few cut into thin strips
a few bacon bits

Wash and scrub the potatoes well to remove any dirt. Boil, with skins on, in lightly salted water till tender, but not soft and overcooked.
Drain and, while still hot, cut into half for baby potatoes or into bite-sized bites if using big potatoes (about 1-inch x 1-inch).
Mix together the dressing ingredients.
Toss the potatoes in the dressing till well coated. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
About half an hour before serving, mix the mayo with the salt, pepper, Tabasco, cream and chilli powder.

Add the chopped cold cuts, bacon, eggs, celery and onion.
Stir in the mayo mixture and mix well.
Allow to chill in the refrigerator.
Serve cold, garnished with the celery leaves and strips and bacon bits.


Vegetarian: Incidentally, I have tried this without the meat for Mehernosh, our Parsi vegetarian friend, and it’s still great.

2 comments:

  1. Ummmm.... I loooove potato salad. There was a time I'd carry it for lunch to work and NOT put on weight. As they say, those were the days, my friend...
    Think I'll cut back a bit on the mayo with an equal amount of skimmed milk yogurt... and just in case there's someone out there who hasn't already tried it out, if you like mustard (like most of us do!) pamper yourself! Thanks, Prima!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: Prima is abs right about the vegetarian bit...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!