Sunday, June 17, 2012

Coming alive again and an easy Thai noodle soup to try


Thai Coconut Soup on My Best Bites 

So I haven’t been posting regularly for a while.
I know it’s not like anyone’s holding their breaths waiting – no, not even me. Really! – but when I’m on schedule with my thrice-weekly posts, I know my life’s on track. It’s not yet back on track, I have to admit. The whole Canada trip did really whack it out of joint, and the jet lag and the chest congestion I’m currently battling are not helping.
Plus, I returned to find that Zach had stitches on his head from falling off a bed he was jumping on with a host of little girls, and, miraculously, had not acquired a sudden liking for school. However, we’re dealing with that. I have spoken seriously to him, and he has assured me that he would not like to leave school and go to Mangalore and be a gardener for his grandparents. Yes, seriously, we did have that talk – with flow charts and all. You know me.
Anyway, the brain seems to be coming back into its own.
I read the first two pages of the newspaper today, and had to ask Kevin for a whole lot of updates on the world and other things.
I watched a Jackie Chan movie called The Tuxedo, and laughed at all the right places.
It’s raining and there’s this lovely darkness at noon that you can really enjoy when it’s a Sunday.
And I’m writing this, aren’t I?
I’m alive.
But since you don’t read my posts just to know the state of my mind and health, here’s a recipe that I’ve been meaning to share for a while, and which is ideal for weather like this. It’s a quick and easy Thai Coconut Soup from one of my favourite recipe blogs – Our Best Bites – and it really warms you up.
Best of all, it can be vegetarian (for you, Hardika!) - just keep the broth vegetarian, skip the shredded chicken and add more mushrooms to compensate.

Thai Coconut Soup
1 tsp olive oil
1½ tbsp minced jalapeno pepper (I used a deseeded green chilli)
1½ tbsp minced ginger
800 ml chicken broth (I made this with Maggi chicken stock cubes)
1¾ cups coconut milk
½ tsp salt
2 packs ramen noodles (discard the seasoning packet)
¾ cup sliced mushrooms
1½ tbsp lime juice
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken

2 tbsp chopped coriander + extra for garnishing
sliced green onions and lime wedges for garnishing


Heat a saucepan to medium-high heat.
Add the olive oil, jalapeno (or chilli), and ginger.
Cook for two minutes, stirring frequently, until the jalapeno (or chilli) and ginger are softened and fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, and salt and increase heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add the noodles, discarding the seasoning packet. Simmer for three minutes, then add the mushrooms, and continue to cook until noodles are softened (about five minutes in all).
Add the cooked, shredded chicken and simmer for about 30 seconds to heat through.
Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and coriander.
Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the additional chopped cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges.
Serve immediately.



As usual, my photo does not look as good as the original, but the taste is spot on!
Enjoy! 

3 comments:

  1. Soup looks good. Nothing wrong with being a gardener. There might even be money in it. Think jamie durie. Tell Zac to hang in there. Love vaneeta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for the Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, so will try... definately high on Thai, just returned from a lovely holiday in Singapore and Krabi Island (Thailand)... the tan from being out in the sun and scuba diving is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!