Sunday, May 06, 2012

The LPMI Travel Awards... and a hot-air balloon mobile to celebrate them!


We’ve just about recovered from the Lonely Planet Magazine India Travel Awards 2012, at which we smiled, prayed and crossed our fingers like never before. There were 39 categories of awards across destinations, hotels and industry and we had a great list of presenters – among them Karan Johar, Rani Mukerji, Neha Dhupia, Gul Panag, the very cute Purab Kohli and the delightful Zeba Kohli. And Ayushmann Khurana, who plays Vicky Arora in Vicky Donor, and who, in passing, seemed charming with a very disarming smile.

Anyway, so this was the cover of our April 2012 issue with the results of the reader-driven poll in it. See the hot-air balloon that Mahesh Sagari painstakingly put together?



And this is the trophy, which again Mahesh worked on. It’s a bad photograph, but isn’t it gorgeous?


So, when I came across this hot-air balloon mobile on one of my increasingly rare encounters with my Google Reader, I felt I had to make it. Of course, the one on Brown Accents is nice and colourful...




but I wanted the Lonely Planet Magazine India blue, offset by a silver.
It’s very simple to make (thank you, Aleta!).
You cut a free-hand template....


Then, using the template, cut lots of shapes from your chosen papers. I used six folded balloon shapes to make each 3D balloon.



You glue them together, using double sided tape to attach thread twice to each 3D balloon.




Then you find a convenient hanging arrangement and...hang ’em!
Do try! My mobile is now hanging in the office and banging all the tall guys’ heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!