Saturday, March 31, 2012

We tried it: Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake from Love Food Eat

Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake from Love Food Eat

Just back from Jaisalmer, where my fancy boutique hotel had an electronic weighing scale in the bathroom. It was a very nice hotel otherwise, but I could have done without that scale. Because it confirmed what I had suspected...
Anyway, no reason why you should suffer for my lack of control. This is a chocolate cake I made before climbing onto the scale, with a recipe from Love Food Eat, in which Bangalore-based graphic designer and food lover Chinmayie does a lot of healthy cooking with Indian influences. And does it well. She is vegetarian, so the blog is a good source of interesting ways to cook lentils and vegetables. She is also a great food photographer, so do visit.
It is a healthy cake – it has no flour, butter, eggs or milk, and so is suitable for vegans. And in my house, you can never eat too much cake – leave it on a table and it will be eaten enthusiastically so that you never get a third helping. If I’m lucky, the enthusiastic eaters will be the son and the girl, and not the husband – but luck is a chancy thing. But even though Kevin and I are supposed to eat carefully, I want Zach to have good food memories of childhood – cupcakes, cakes and nice things I made him; like I have of my mom’s Madeira cake, bread pudding, chocolate mousse and sajige rotti (semolina and banana fritters).

Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar (I used caster sugar)
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup strong black coffee
¼ cup light olive oil (I used olive pomace oil)
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla

Preheat the oven at 170 degrees C.
Mix all the wet ingredients – strong black coffee, olive oil, white vinegar and vanilla – in a bowl.
Combine all the dry ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in another bowl and mix till everything is combined well. Make sure there are no baking powder or baking soda lumps in it.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir gently to mix well. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and spread the chocolate chips over it in a single layer.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Once you get the cake out of the oven, the chocolate chips on top will be soft and spreadable. You can either leave them as they are or spread them to make a frosting.
Serve warm.

Notes:
I had very little coffee powder in the house – just the remnants of a Bru sachet left over from our happy stay in the lovely Casa de Praia in Goa – so the coffee element in my cake was a little muted.
Also, no chocolate chip cookies, so Zach – who you will be glad to know is now walking home from school alone when needed and running errands regularly – got me a bar of Dairy Milk and I broke pieces of it and pressed them down over the batter.
As usual, my cake looks nothing like the original – in this case, Chinmayie’s beautifully photographed cake – but it sure passed the taste test, and was inhaled soon after it hit the table.
Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. Gosh this sounds so yummy, I have to get myself a small oven soooooon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!