Saturday, January 28, 2012

We tried it: Spicy Peanut Noodles from Smashed Peas and Carrots


Let me be honest here: I first noticed this recipe because it took me back to Thailand. In Thailand, when they ask if you want peanuts in your dish, they pronounce peanuts like you would name a male appendage! We had a hard time keeping a straight face in Thailand...
Anyway, I found this recipe on Maggie’s Smashed Peas and Carrots blog and I was thrilled at how easy it seemed. Of course, sceptic that I am, I reserved judgement till it was made and eaten, but I have to report – it was good.
So here goes. For once I had everything that was called for in the ingredient list, so no adjustments had to be made...

Spicy Peanut Noodles

200-250 g noodles (I used spaghetti)
6 tbsp peanut butter
6 tbsp soya sauce
3 tbsp honey
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp chilli sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 cup chicken broth (I used a cube)
Carrots, peppers, cabbage, cut into strips  
Crushed peanuts
  • Cook the noodles in boiling salted water.
  • In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together the peanut butter, soya sauce honey, garlic, ginger, chilli sauce and chicken broth until the peanut butter has melted and all ingredients are well combined.
  • Drain the noodles and place them in a large bowl. Add the spicy peanut sauce and mix well.
  • Plate out the noodles and add your vegetable toppings of choice. Garnish with crushed peanuts. Enjoy!
It really is as easy as that.
Of course, this may not be as healthy as if I had used wholewheat pasta (which I hate, btw), and the jury is executing a tap dance on the fence about peanuts. But, if you’re looking for a break from the salads, this is good – it’s not fried and you made it yourself. Load the veggies on to make yourself feel better.
On a less disclaimer-y note, I’m really happy with this photo... though Jerry did point out that the blue Ikea spork looks weird... All the bits and bobs around the noodles are part of the new centrepiece on our old coffee table. This year, Kevin and I hope to make this house a little less utilitarian... But more on that another time...

4 comments:

  1. I made this recently with rice noodles and we ate it cold like a salad. It was great with fish cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynette,
      Sounds good. I took it to work, and yes, it was good cold. Maybe one of the few things like this that taste good cold

      Delete
  2. Do you get soba noodles? Those would be healthy I think and tasty. Love vaneeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vaneeta,
      Yes, we do get soba noodles - a bit pricey still... but certainly not as much as before. Will try in Crawford Market.

      Delete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!