Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Resolving to persevere


My girlfriend Radhika came back from Cambodia with a Tshirt emblazoned with the Lonely Planet logo. Except that, instead of `Lonely Planet’, it read, “Losers plan it”. What can I say? If being a planner means being a loser, a loser – at least in that aspect – I am. 
Each year, I resolve to not make resolutions, but I am a sucker for a new start. When studying for exams in school, I could never start a revision stint until the next hour or half-hour. There were always so many hours and half-hours coming up to help soothe my conscience when I discovered I had left something unfinished. 
Today, I am an anticipator (goes with my worst-case-scenario outlook to life).  I like to get my stories written way before deadline, and plan for all eventualities in advance. My life is all about being 80% prepared and letting the world hit me with the unexpected – but not unanticipated – 20%.
So this year, I do have resolutions – a planner cannot not have them!
I resolve to
  • Use my new diary diligently – also so I don’t overstrain my already-overstressed memory. Also use all the relevant functions – to-do lists, memos, calendar – on my Android phone to the same end.
  • Try to remember important-to-me people’s birthdays, and call the ones who aren’t on Facebook.
  • Try to make this blog more useful to more people, even the few loyal men who indulge me by reading.
  • Make fewer impulse purchases, especially of clothes, that I then give away to people I like.
  • Save for a rainy day, and go out on a limb and tell other people to save. You, start saving, a recession is really coming.
  • Wear clothes that celebrate a comfortableness (I know that is not a word, but do you have a better one?) with my body.
  • Moisturise. I know women need to start way earlier than when they’re 41, but it’s never too late to start, right?
  • Use – regularly – all those nice body polishes and sprays that I’ve been saving for a more important time.
  • Wear my lenses more often.
  • Pray every day meaningfully.
  • Go to yoga Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, keeping in mind that I really enjoy the session when I get there.
  • Walk – or treadmill – each day at lunch, instead of fiddling about unnecessarily on the internet.
  • Buy stronger deodorant to combat the results of the walk-after-lunch. Not talking about weight loss here.
  • Try to eat healthier on weekdays, to justify binges on weekends.
  • Not panic when school time comes around. I will remember it is Zach who is in school, not I. (I am only the one who must sign the remarks in the calendar when Zach forgets he is in school.)
  • Try to be kind, not sarcastic, not superior, when someone doesn’t know something, or do something the way I would.
  • Smile more often.
  • Smile more sincerely when I do.
  • Go with the moment, not overthink situations. Lighten up.
  • Overcome my fear of failure, and try new things – even if I might fail.
  • Use my worst-case-scenario perspective to empower myself rather than paralyse.
I will, as the old hymn goes, strive to take life one day at a time. Lysa TerKeurst (www.lysaterkeurst.com) says in an emailer (thank you, Christabel, for that forward): “No matter what your struggle has been, victory is possible today. Sadly, most of us don't think that's true. The problem is we tend to measure long-term success while downplaying the absolute victory found in small successes.”
Very true for me. I am very willing to give in to the despair of having failed to spare myself the discomfort of continuing to try. I love how Lysa puts it:
“Big things are built one brick at a time.
Victories are achieved one choice at a time.
A life well-lived is chosen one day at a time.”
I hope you have small goals to achieve this year. And I hope you will continue to achieve them through the year.

PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY MICROSOFT.COM

12 comments:

  1. Your list is impressively long! But remember - plug away at it one step at a time, one day at a time...and with God's help, you'll be victorious. Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list Prima. Good luck. My new years resolution is to do fewer chores and play more with the kids. Can already see it not happening but will try. Happy new year. Love vaneeta

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Primama. Small goals are a great idea, I'm tempted to buy a notebook and record mine. All my goals somehow involve shopping, weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris sweetheart, I know I am in your prayers - and I am so grateful for that. Thank you.
    Also, great that you can finally comment again. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deepa darling,
    Yup, I think small goals will work - at least in theory! The retail therapy urge - for me too - will be hard to crush.
    Love....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Vaneeta,
    I think yours is a worthy resolution. I wish I had spent more time playing with Zach when he was younger – I was too hassled dealing with his school issues, instead. And now, he is struggling hard to not be irritated with me – teenage is around the corner! Happy new year to you all, sweetie! Also, I have no idea why you keep popping up as Anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Try to be kind, not sarcastic, not superior, when someone doesn’t know something, or do something the way I would."

    This is something I want to work on, too – if only I could remember that!
    Also, yay for the mention. Next goal – win a giveaway *hint hint*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Raddy, we will do it together.
    For the giveaway, you need to work out how to influence the True Random Number Generator on this blog. I will stay out of the fray.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude! I love the list. I am going to write something for everyday in my planner. And here is something Miss Mariyln M. said to keep you going! :) -- "So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ali,
    Glad you like the list. Writing something every day will sure make good use of that fancy planner! Keep smiling!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Prima, one of your best yet. Yes, we should all save because a recession is definitely coming. And all other points hit home too. I've hit a reader's and writer's block. Not reading/writing anything other than work related. So will try to give you reviews and go to the ongoing strand bookfair, buy some interesting books and hopefully read them... thanks for this little, big reminder

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Devesh,
    Thank you! I always want new books, but I'm going to try to not go to the Strand Book Fair, because a) I'm trying to save, and b) I have no place left at home.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!