So here’s what I’m doing to keep on track with the get-healthier plan:
· Yoga every Monday, Wednesday and Friday – yes, really!
· Walking in the little park near the house every Tuesday and Thursday – or on the treadmill at work if I miss this morning 45 minutes.
Motivation:· Have bought two pairs of track pants, three new tees, three pairs of new socks – ever noticed how wearing clothes you like helps ease any task?
· Have got new music on the phone – and ear buds – so I can
· Have bought new leak-proof lunch boxes to take my healthy food options to work with me.
Food:· I’m really working to sticking to just chicken and seafood on an everyday basis.
· I aim to take at least three different healthy snacks to work, because ours is an office of foodies, and you need to be not hungry to be able to resist all the treats. Here are some of the 'snacks' I have been taking in to work:
- Yoghurt dips with cucumber and carrot sticks. Drained yoghurt, minced garlic and – wait for it! – honey makes a good combination.
- French onion soup in a flask
- Porridge in a flask
- Brown bread sandwiches with shredded grilled chicken, non-butter spread and mustard
- Muesli – I keep a box of cereal in the office so that I have an option when everyone else is going mad.
· I’m also aiming to fill up on water.
· But most of all, I’m working on salads, salads that I really like and will actually want to eat.
The basic salad makings include
- The veggies: cucumbers, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, olives...
- The garnish: croutons (made in the microwave, not fried), Italianised with a little olive oil and a sprinkling of the oregano that comes with pizzas. These must be carried separately to avoid softening. I love croutons, so this adds a touch of luxury and a different mouth-feel to the salad.
- The dressing: My current favourite is a Sweet Sesame Dressing (recipe coming). Must be carried in a leak-proof box.
- The icing on the salad: The grilled chicken! For years, I’ve never really been able to feel satisfied with salads, because I was always left feeling somewhat empty. Adding grilled chicken to salad greens and veggies makes for a satisfying meal.
Till then, send me your ideas for healthy snacks and meals-on-the-go! I need all the help I can get, and I’m sure there are a few of you who’d like new ideas too. Tell me, too, if you’re with me – it would be great to know that someone else is trying to get healthier as well!