Saturday, April 30, 2011

WE TRIED IT: Microwave coffee & walnut cake from BBC Good Food


BBC Good Food's Microwave Coffee & Walnut Cake
I have a stash of recipes that I’m going through, and you lucky things out there will be treated to some awful improving photographs.
I made this Microwave Coffee & Walnut Cake  at 8.20 in the morning, and took a part of it to work, where my stock is consequently higher than usual. It is quite a wonderful cake, and so easy, I promise you.
ADDED: This photograph is off the BBC Good Food site. When I said Improving photographs, I could not hope to get so good so soon!

Microwave Coffee & Walnut Cake
85g very soft butter
85g golden caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
85g self-raising flour
2 tsp instant coffee powder
small handful walnut pieces (optional)

FOR THE COFFEE BUTTER CREAM

1 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp milk
25g very soft butter
100g icing sugar

1.     In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (we did this by hand and it worked out just fine). Gradually add the eggs followed by the flour and instant coffee (I sieved the flour and Nescafe together before adding here). Stir most of the walnuts (if using) into the batter, reserving a few for decoration. Transfer to a microwave-proof dish.
2.     Cook on full power for 2 minutes. Reduce the power to medium and cook for 2 minutes. After 4 minutes, check to see if the cake is cooked - it should be risen and spring back when touched. If it needs a bit longer, cook on medium for 1 minute more at a time, checking after each minute until the cake is cooked (we took 2 minutes High, 2 minutes Medium, then 1 ½ minutes Medium). Remove and allow to cool.
3.     Meanwhile, make the coffee butter cream: Dissolve the coffee in the milk, then add the butter and icing sugar. Beat until smooth, spread over the cake and top with the reserved walnuts. 

Observations and changes:
·        Someone had eaten all the walnuts, so we didn’t put any into our version. I would have tried raisins, but Kevin insists on calling them pus boils when cooked, so….
·        Although the original from BBC Good Food does not layer, I managed to slice my cake horizontally, and spread some frosting on it and on top. It was yum! And the coffee butter cream frosting is a keeper.
·        This does make a rather small cake, so maybe doubling the quantity will help.
·        The cake is, like other reviewers on the site commented, a little dry, but the frosting and particularly the layering helps with that.

Make it! Send me your photographs to prove it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so simple... hopefully will be able to set up my own kitchen in June and make all these nice things and share recipe's too... still dreaming... more when I come to Mumbai... Miss you girl...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!