Monday, April 25, 2011

The Seven Last Words of Christ


Spoken on the Cross, they have great value for reflection. We reflect on these on Good Friday during the Three Hours’ Agony. A good preacher can totally eliminate the `agony’ aspect of the reflection, as did Fr Warner at the Holy Name Cathedral (more on that later). Although I am nowhere close to being a theology expert, please ask if you would like any explanations:


The First Word: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

The Second Word: “Today you will be with me in paradise.”

The Third Word: “Woman, behold your son.”

The Fourth Word: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

The Fifth Word: “I thirst.”

The Sixth Word: “It is finished!”

The Seventh Word: “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit!”


Illustration courtesy http://clipart.christiansunite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!