Friday, February 25, 2011

To write...definitely

Sometimes, I tire of the idea that I must write only when a story is due. Like when I've travelled for the magazine. Taking all those wonderful experiences -- and even some not-so-pleasant memories -- and tranforming them into a story that is worth someone else's while to read is a great responsibility. One I feel agonisingly acutely. And one that will not let me sleep till the story is done. Yes, I am the sort who wakes up at three to write if a deadline looms - 20 days on. Or stays up till three if the story is due.


Perhaps it is because I don't write often any more. That thought came to mind as I sat through a sermon at mass yesterday at Mangalore's Infant Jesus Shrine. The priest delivered a well-thought-out, well-crafted, almost-gramatically perfect (yeah, yeah, it is important to me) sermon on being kind. It led me to think of how few well-worked-on sermons I have heard over the years. To realise that perhaps if I had to deliver a sermon (or in this case, a blog post) every week, I would be more careful about being well-read, well-written, more consistent. Updating this blog regularly would also fulfil a requirement that my career guru Nicholas Brett says is important: to be active over many media.


So a new resolution almost two months into the new year: I will update this blog more often. Having someone else also read what I write would be great, so do feel free to sign up as a guinea pig. I don't know how that works, but will figure it out.


Cheers to more writing -- and reading!

2 comments:

  1. And I believe, I have the same symptoms - perhaps inherited from you, Prima... :) After all, I was your Baby back then at Femina!
    Femina days - come to think of it - we did have a fair share of fun!

    Not too sure if I could put it all on your blog, but going sligthtly off the topic of your writing and deadlines, which you instilled in me better than "very well" (yes, it's something I owe you, and something I take pride in at my work even today)... I remember those days when:
    *We walked in Bombay floods through COlaba..
    *The days of going to visit Kevis at the studio - where I would make myself scarce and wonder what I should be doing here?
    *Shopping to get more "femina-like" and less "sloppy school gal-like"
    *Press conferences - and dressing up for events hosted by Amitabh bachhan ;)
    *Lonavala trip
    *Guy troubles - hahahahaha! we had a fair share!
    * Your wedding dress trials (thanks to you, I joined Rama Bans and am still a fitness freak - and married - thankfully - to one! )
    *Crossing the road with MY tummy jutting out when you were pregnant
    * Zach :)
    Gosh! looks like suddenly, I've been with you through almost all your life :)
    And have enjoyed it!
    Look forward to reading more from you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ari my love,
    You remain as sweet (and complimentary, even when undeserved) as ever.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you've visited - leave a comment!